Known as the Athens of Finland, the city of Jyväskylä hosts the second Red Bull Crashed Ice stop of the season on February 3rd. Alongside the ice cold action on the Laajis ski resort the city offers lots of activities for the fans arriving to Central Finland, and we've gathered together the best tips and created a list of things you will want to experience before heading back home.
Winter activities in the city of sports - fun and easy! As a wintery appetizer, enjoy the skating track opened in the harbour area or the warmly illuminated Rantaraitti trail.
Compact pedestrian centre – museums, shops, restaurants and a unique atmosphere.
Toivola Old Courtyard – this picturesque craftsmen's courtyard and jewel of the city is in the heart of Jyväskylä; it carries you to days gone by and offers much to admire for handicraft lovers.
Popular sights and landmarks in Jyväskylä - Take a photo of yourself next to Jyväskylä landmarks and share your photo with hashtag #visitjyvaskyla, and take part in the Visit Jyväskylä photo competition.
Unique architecture - There are more buildings designed by architect Alvar Aalto in Jyväskylä than anywhere else in the world.Photo: Tero Takalo-Eskola
UNESCO World Heritage Sites - Petäjävesi Old Church and Oravivuori triangulation tower.
The world's northernmost City of Light – our internationally awarded City of Light offers more than 80 illuminated sights.
Fun for families - Spend winter days together and enjoy downhill skiing, sledding, climbing, swimming, museum adventures, hiking, bowling, parks...
For more hints, please visit www.visitjyvaskyla.fi/en
It pays to start your shopping trip right in the heart of the city centre! Kompassiaukio – Compass Square - at the junction of Kauppakatu and Asemakatu is also the spot where locals like to meet up. The pedestrianized central zone contains a number of pleasant shopping centres, international chain stores and a range of specialised small shops and boutiques. Outside the city centre too there are a number of enticing shopping destinations which are places of interest in themselves thanks to their attractive location.
Gifts, souvenirs and nice boutiques
• Toivolan Vanha Piha [Toivola Old Courtyard] with its craft stores and workshops.
• Taito Shop Aivia just oozes Finnish design knowhow and fun items with a Finland theme. In the pedestrian precinct, next to the Craft Museum of Finland!
• Puttipaja Design Store, Wanha Paja in Naissaaari (Naissaarentie 1, Vaajakoski, Jyväskylä, 28 min)
• Panda factory outlet in Vaajakoski (Asematie 2, Vaajakoski, Jyväskylä, 24 min)
• The legendary good-mood card shop Harjun Paperi
• Jyväskylä's own garden centre Viherlandia
• Pienikamari: attractive, quality, inspiring items for youngsters and those a bit older, too!
And don't forget to buy the tickets to the main event of the upcoming weekend! Buy tickets here!